Thursday, October 26, 2006

Vote for God

(What the...?) I hear you cry.

That was my reaction. I even stopped and re-read the sign.

There it was, your standard American election sign, the kind that litters the side of every major street and every median, repeating the name of the same candidate 17 times in a row (taking up space to keep competitors from edging in, I guess). Just like those.

This one looked just like one.

White background, red ink, nothing else--an inexpensive sign. The graphics depicted a waving American flag. And the text read;

Vote for God

Oh dear. It didn't say what office she's running for; I'm going to have to look very carefully at the ballot to make sure I don't screw up and vote against her, because... well, you know, some candidates can be a mite vindictive about these things.

Vote for God?

I can't even begin to fathom the kind--or state--of a mind that would suggest such a thing, much less print it and post it. Right there, by the YMCA.

It kind of worries me. I mean... almost all candidates are members of a party. And this party would obviously be the Party of God. Which would be the same as Hezbollah. But that means that voting for it might get me in trouble with the feds, because that's a terrorist organization and I could find my butt in Gitmo doing serious, indeterminate long-term waterboarding at the president's pleasure.

1 comment:

Lisa-J. said...

I finally saw this sign today! It was at a, um, major intersection in our smallish town. If you blinked twice, you might miss it among the fifteen dozen other signs.

Sigh. I guess I'm jaded - it really didn't faze me. I remember the weird "Hotline to God" decals in phone booths about 20 years ago. At the time, I wish I could have called him.

"Him." Hm. Well, I'm sure the sign maker envisions "Him" as a "Him"...

Aren't we UU's already on some kind of list with the feds? No need to answer if you know...I don't think I want to know.